This is a super rich and satisfying soup because of the healthy coconut milk that is in it.
2 butternut squash (totaling about 2 lbs)- halved lengthwise and seeded
4 T unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 leek white and green part only thinly sliced
2 T minced ginger
1 t curry powder ( I like to use Garam masala, but you can use regular curry powder as well. Both are available at the Common Market)
1/2 c dry white wine
4 c of water
1 can of full fat organic coconut milk
1 large spring of thyme
1 T of fresh lime juice
cilantro and fresh pepper to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place each half of squash face up on a rimmed baking sheet and place 1/2 T of butter in each cavity. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast squash for about 1 hour and 20 minutes until tender. When cool enough to handle spoon out the flesh and butter into a large bowl and discard the skin.
- Meanwhile melt 2 T of butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, ginger, and curry powder and cook until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, 1 minute.
- Add the cooked squash, water, coconut milk, and thyme. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 35 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprig and puree the soup with an immersion blender or blend in small batches in a blender. Stir in the lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves and pepper.
Clinic Hours & Info
252 East 6th Street, Frederick Maryland
Tuesday - Friday
9:30 am - 6:00 pm
2:00 - 3:00 pm
In times of inclement weather, please contact the office for any cancellations.